(Senior) Director Global Toxicology (m/f/d)
Position Title (Senior) Director Global Toxicology
Location Darmstadt, Germany
Reports to Vice President, Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs
Direct Reports 10
Scope / Brands Full Portfolio
“Wella’ is one of the world’s leading professional and retail hair companies. It is a beauty collective with a mission to enable consumers to look & feel like their true self. Its love brands, which include beauty icons such as Wella, Clairol, OPI, and ghd (all together “Wella”), are co-created by & designed for the beauty junkies of today & tomorrow. Following the signing of an agreement with global investment firm KKR for the divestiture of Coty’s Professional and Retail Hair businesses, “Wella” is on its way to become a fully independent, standalone company with its own management team and operational structures. At closing, our new Company will have presence in over 100 countries and an estimated annual net revenue of $2.3Bn. “Wella” and its brands, are and will remain committed to a range of social causes as well as seeking to minimize its impact on the environment. For additional information about “Wella” please visit www.wella.com.
In our Research & Development team you will be working on the core of the customer & consumer delight. You will join a diverse team of highly passionate Scientists, Engineers, Hair Stylists and Nail Artists innovating at the forefront of technology and beauty trends:
- We own End to End Innovation exploring, developing and qualifying innovations that delight.
- We innovate to create the future of the Company guided by what will grow our industry long term.
- We feel and act like parents of the industry with safety, sustainability, quality and regulatory front and center to our work
The Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs department in Wella is part of the corporate Research & Development organization. The Product Safety department comprises the three functions toxicology, ecotoxicology and pharmaco-/cosmetovigilance and is responsible for raw material and finished product market safety release. The department’s footprint includes co-location with key R&D centers in Darmstadt, Tokio and Los Angeles (Calabasas).
Join the Wella family and come with us on an exciting journey exploring new opportunities as a stand-alone company!
The (Senior) Director, Global Toxicology, Ecotoxicology and Cosmetovigilance leadership and strategy setting role in R&D includes the responsibility for supporting, defining and executing the cosmetic product safety strategy for upstream, global current business initiatives and in-market support.
The successful candidate establishes and manages priorities to support state of the art scientific toxicology, ecotoxicology and cosmetovigilance projects support via internal global direct reports and external laboratory capabilities. Regulatory submissions and audits, product supply and in-market support are in the role’s responsibility.
- He / she partners with Project Toxicologists to provide strategic and scientific input to multidisciplinary Project Teams across the initiative pipeline from upstream discovery through in-market support with an emphasis on ingredient and finished product (eco)toxicology assessment as well as in-market issue resolution.
- He / she will be expected to cooperate closely with colleagues in product development, regulatory affairs, product supply, quality assurance and other functions, and employ both internal and external (Contract Research Organization) resources and expertise pragmatically to efficiently deliver comprehensive, data-driven ingredient and finished product human risk assessment and to inform internal decision-making globally.
- He / she will have a leadership in industry associations, continue career development through participation in scientific meetings, and increase visibility and reputation for self and Wella through publications.
- Overseeing a team of PhD level and technical level staff, the Senior Director will provide leadership, mentorship, and career development opportunities for his/her global team. This role will be responsible for future innovation strategy, budget, resource and timeline commitments for the group.
- 10 + years’ experience in cosmetic and chemical business and its regulatory environment (Cosmetic Regulations and EU SCCS relevant guidance, REACh), consumer product / pharma / research management or related experience in corporate business.
- Strong scientific and technical skills in consumer product risk assessment, non-animal toxicology as well as ability to propose mechanistic hypotheses, design and oversee the execution of experiments.
- Proven track-record in leading scientific and project teams, including direct and remote people management experience across geographies.
- Ph.D. in toxicology / ecotoxicology, biological science, pharmacology or related discipline (medicine, veterinary science or related field) and/or professional degree (DVM, VMD) with training or extensive experience in risk assessment, cell and molecular toxicology or related disciplines.
- Exceptional diplomacy and negotiating skills.
- This role requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, attention to detail, troubleshooting skills, a high level of organizational ability and ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Exciting leading role in Toxicology
- International – Join a multinational corporation with flat hierarchies and exciting projects.
- Team – Positive working environment and culture, practiced through diversity, togetherness and fun.
- Work smart – Possibility of home office, growth opportunities and trust-based working hours.
- Package – attractive salaries and numerous corporate benefits.
- JOIN THE WELLA FAMILY! – Hairdressing is at our heart; it’s about closeness and human-to-human connection. It’s one fueled by hard working business owners and passionate artists, tirelessly working with their hands each day.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
We offer equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Coty complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact cotyjobsUS@cotyinc.com. We strongly believe that cultivating a diverse workplace gives a company strength. The combination of unique skills, abilities, experiences and backgrounds create an environment that produces extraordinary results. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled.